Sunday, October 7, 2012

There's a Place For Us....


 We three Crane sisters from last year. From left, Susan (middle), me (oldest) and Elizabeth (Liz, youngest)


My Mom was my Brownie leader, and both my sisters'.  She was really good at it!  And I think she got better and better as she went through the program with each of us.  I never had her for more than a Brownie leader, but both my sisters had her for Brownies, Juniors, and.....

Well, my Mom was gung-ho to go with my youngest sister to bridge up to Cadettes, but Elizabeth said, "Mom, either you're going to Cadettes, or I am!"  Yes, a very independent minded sister, to be sure.  It's not that she and Mom hated each other, or that there was animosity beyond the usual adolescent stuff. I think that she was just ready to not be the leader's daughter any more.

So, Mom went to volunteer at the library instead. My sister went on to achieve her First Class and complete Seniors.  It worked for them!  My middle sister, Susan, went to onto Cadettes and Seniors, and when I asked her what she remembered, the first thing she said was, "I remember it was waaay different from Juniors.  Mrs. Robinson just sat on the side and let the girls do it all.  I loved it!"  Okay, so all 3 of us are old!  But 35+ years ago, it was also all about leadership, even though we earned badges, signs, challenges and First Class Awards, not IPs or Journeys or Silver Awards or Gold Awards!!!  But I digress...

I was thinking about how all three of us had such different Girl Scouting experiences.  And how it really helped to shape who we are as people.  And then I got to thinking about my Mom, and how she just up and left Scouting. She didn't see a place for her without her daughter. She still supported all 3 of us in the program, but she no longer had an adult role.  Looking back, I think how sad that was!  She had such a wealth of knowledge to pass onto other leaders. Why didn't she offer to be a level consultant? or take on the 01 or 02 job for a local troop in need? or help with her SU?

And now here I am - no kids in the program, wanting to give back, and finding a way to do it. And I'm not the only one!  My friend Cindy, both of us from Senior Troop Cuyama #83 in Long Beach.  No kids in the program, but she's a leader for her GRANDdaughters. My friend Corki, has 3 boys around my age, and she advised the Senior Troop Maui for 20+ years, now helping with our ToGetHerBoating event on October 21, and bringing in some of her troop "girls" to help as well.

There's a place for all of us in Scouting. We all have something to give back to these wonderful girls who can use our help. And maybe that help is stepping back, and maybe that help is stepping up. How are you going to help a girl?  Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments and questions. Answers will be in this section also.