Monday, April 30, 2012

Cadette Essentials Training



Okay, it's true, I LOVE training!  I love delivering it, and I love receiving it!!!

Being an adult trainer is it's own LIA opportunity, just for adults! It's a chance for me to use the leadership tools and knowledge  that I've developed over these many years, as well as to talk about Scouting which is near and dear to my heart.  

But as much as I like standing in front of the class, delivering the message, I think the most fun really comes from hearing the leaders in the room talk with each other.  We had a great session the other night with a small group of 7 leaders for Cadette Essentials.  One woman was a brand new leader! First time ever, and she'll be taking over the bridging Juniors as they become first year Cadettes.  I applaud her, and so did everyone in the class. 

She had great questions, some of which were better directed to the more experienced leaders, and they all chimed in.  Each of those leaders had gems of wisdom to share with her and with each other.  A couple questions really took me aback, as I was a bit appalled at some abysmal behavior of parents and leaders that was being told.  But every leader was nodding in agreement, offering their support and potential solutions. Each of them had a sense of fairness that they shared.  No one was thrown under a bus!

And each of them was looking forward to more Girl-Led experiences with the Cadettes.  No more "birthday party" meetings!  These leaders are ready to move the meeting place, create a group agreement at their first meeting, let the girls vote on whether they want ledger accounting, offer a new form of troop government, and encourage the girls to take advantage of the many opportunities they now have as Cadettes.  Their girls are going to have a GREAT Cadette experience, because they are going to lead their own experience.

Hats off to all you leaders who work so hard to make the experience as robust and fulfilling for the girls as possible!  You rock!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments and questions. Answers will be in this section also.