Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Why is Girl Planning sometimes SO HARD?



It sure seems easy, when I say in training, "let the girl lead" or "let the girl decide".  In actuality, I bet many of you want to throw tomatoes at me, since it's not always easy to let the girl do it.

I think about how easy it is for me to make an agenda, create a list, organize my thoughts and then do the follow thru.  Well, it had better be! Partly because I've had many, many years of practice, but also because I do it for a living!!!

I know, middle school girls CAN plan, and they CAN make good choices, and they CAN take the lead.  We adults just have to let them, and facilitate their learning how to do it. In the meantime, make sure we maintain a safe environment for the girl, in case she fails.  Support her, even when "we know" it's not a good plan/decision, and reward her for her successes.

I think that's why I'm liking the Breathe Journey that Rizzy and I are, okay I"ll say it, planning for the summer.  We are working to create a Breathe Journey series, and we are doing our best to have girl-planned pieces.  To that end, we have a pre-Journey meeting for girls to attend if they want to help plan. Not required, not a cost, just an opportunity to come in ahead of time and help plan their Journey.

We have also put together some opportunities for the girls to choose from, so that they can pick a topic from the Journey book, prepare at home with some parental help, and then come back and lead on their date.  We are providing a framework, and we're truly hoping that these girls step up and take their leadership piece seriously.

Guess we'll find out.... we're going to let them lead, even if it kills me!  
A facilitator I will be! A leader, the girl will be! (Sounds like a song....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments and questions. Answers will be in this section also.